During the early days of quitting drinking, I really struggled to sleep. I could never get a full eight hours. Studies have shown that this can be one of the most common symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and can be one of the main causes of relapse. As someone who has struggled for years with terrible sleep patterns, I have tried and tested almost every product on the market. Here is a list of tips and my favourite products for having the best night’s sleep.
• Eat earlier. To ensure your body effectively digest the food, you should not go to bed within 3 hours of a meal. I used to eat my dinner at around 8 pm and follow with a sweet snack. Moving my evening meal to an earlier time of 7 pm has made a huge difference to the quality of my sleep. I feel much more relaxed and comfortable when allowing sufficient time between meals and bed.
• Ensure your room is cool around 20 degrees and free from external noise or light.
• Cutting the caffeine. As a rule, I try not to drink any caffeine from around 2pm in the day. When consumed caffeine stimulates the nervous system and stops your body from fully relaxing. I have also found that herbal teas can really help me to relax, unwind and act as a sleep aid before bed. My favourites blends to aid sleep include :
Yogi Tea bedtime blend
The Niche Tea Co Sleep Tea –
Twinings sleep blend
Pukka nighttime tea-
• Quit the drink. One of the main benefits I have found from giving up alcohol is how much my sleep is improved. I now get a full 8 hours most nights whereas before I would often wake up ¾ times throughout the night.
• The Bedroom. A clean, peaceful and welcoming bedroom is the key to a good night’s sleep. This place should be your sanctuary. Make sure it feels that way Invest in good sheets, blinds and accessories. Zara home do some beautiful bedding.
• Invest in an eye mask. Eye masks ensure that you block out all the light. They also make a chic accessory. You can get beautiful ones from Liberty or Amara.com.
• Taking a warm shower or bath before you hit the sack also really helps you to easily fall asleep. Using a bath oil or foam scented with lavender would also really help too. Lavender known for its calming and relaxing properties helps with for insomnia, anxiety, depression, and acts as natural stress relief. My favorite bath products are
Neil’s Yard Aromatic Bath Foam – A blend of Lavender Spanish marjoram and geranium helps you relax and unwind,
Neom Perfect Night’s Sleep Bath and Shower Drops- with over 19 essential oils in a bottle this bath oil will not only have a deeply soothing effect you will also be left with super soft skin that smells incredible.
Aromatherapy Associates Deep Relax Bath Oil – Vetivert, Camomile and Sandalwood help to calm the mind and body for a restful night’s sleep.
This Works Sleep range really does work. I have been using the pillow spray for years now and have recently also bought the deep sleep heavenly candle and bath salts and they have been a game changer. Scented with lavender and camomile the products really soothe the senses and help with relaxation before bed.
Your skin natural repairs itself while sleep. Bedtime is the perfect time to apply moisturising, deeply nourishing and anti-ageing products, as this is when they will be able to work best. After a deep cleanse using ultimate cleanse from Sarah Chapman http://www.sarahchapman.net/ultimate-cleanse/ I apply like to apply a facial oil formulated with lots of replenishing ingredients such as rose, lavender or camomile. Some of my favorites are:
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate – This light oil serum contains natural ingredients such as primrose oil and lavender oil to improve the skin’s texture, tone and luminosity. This is my hero product for bed as it smells incredible and my skin feels soft and hydrated when I wake up.
Caudalie Vinosource Overnight Recovery Oil- This is great for winter when my skin is feeling sensitive and dry. The natural oils melt easily in to skin for ultra-hydration.
Neom perfect night’s sleep face oil – Packed with essential oils this night-time oil not only hydrates but also relaxes you ready for a full night’s sleep.